Friday, June 29, 2012

Ebook or Traditional Print?

Recent figures suggest that the Ebook market is growing faster and faster every year. For those hoping to publish their books and reach a wide audience, it seems that Ebooks might be the perfect solution, but are they? Are writers better off producing Ebooks, print books, or a combination of both?

While it has always been difficult to be a published writer, these days it is almost impossible without a professional agent. This is particularly true in the children's book genre, where most publishers will not even consider a manuscript without the writer being represented by an agent. Hiring agents is not only expensive but time consuming, with no guarantee of a successful outcome. In addition, many publishers do not want to see illustration ideas with print, making it difficult for many authors to present their vision.

Ebooks allow writers complete control over their work and it's format. They also allow authors the opportunity to share their work without having to jump through numerous hoops put in place by publishers. Of course, one of the primary drawbacks of self-publishing is the lack of marketing and exposure. Independent writers need to work very hard to get their words out there, and even those that do may find that their voice is not powerful enough to rival those supported by big name publishers. The Ebook market has become extremely competitive since anyone can publish a book, and thus it is becoming increasingly more difficult to stand out from the crowd.

Personally, I love the opportunities that Ebooks present. With two young children I don't honestly have time to pursue professional publishers, and I am realistic enough to know that I may not be able to attract their attention anyway. I like the fact that I can format, illustrate and edit my own work, and that I can change it even after it's published as a result of feedback from readers.. I want to reach a large audience, but when I set out writing I told myself that if the only people who ever read my stories were my children, I'd be fine with that. Writing is a passion, and I want to continue to enjoy it in its simplest form, without the constraints that traditional print might place upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment