Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Simple or Interactive Kids Ebooks?

With the availability of children's Ebooks on devices such as the Ipad, Kindle Fire and others, many publishers are exploring adding interactive elements to their ebooks for children. Kids can click on characters in the story to see them move or hear them talk, items can be dragged or used in the story, and children can even make decisions that alter the outcome of the book. While I certainly know that my daughter enjoys these kinds of ebooks, and think that they have their place in the market, interactive ebooks are not something I am interested in creating myself for a number of reasons.

The essence of my stories is their simplicity. I like to teach a concept, send a message or just make a child smile through simple rhymes, endearing illustrations and likeable characters. I want the children who read my books to get lost in the story or the words and to use the pictures as a springboard for their own ideas. With my felt scenes, I hope that children can almost imagine themselves moving the characters around the scenes to enhance the stories, even if they cannot physically do so. For me, so much of children's literature lies in the imagination of the reader.

When I watch my daughter using apps or playing around with interactive stories, she is certainly entertained, but I find her starting to mindlessly touch object after object without really engaging with the background story or what the characters are saying. She just wants to make everything move or make noise, but is not truly enhancing the story. On the other hand, when she reads simple ebooks, she asks questions, points out details of the illustrations, and takes the stories to a deeper level on her own.

I love that with modern technology our children have so many options. I'm happy that my daughters can enjoy all types of literature, but from an author's perspective, I'll stick with what moves me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment